Friday, October 29, 2010

Thyme for bronchitis or as a decongestant

Last week, I felt one of those dreaded fall/winter bouts of bronchitis coming on. However, it was going to be awhile before I could get to my doctor and the misery was considerable. I had read online and in herbal books that thyme is an excellent herbal treatment for bronchitis. I took the recipe below and within a few hours, I could breathe again. Later, I did require antibiotic treatment; so please consult with your physician if you are not feeling well. (Do not drink this in combination with over-the-counter cold remedies)! Here is the recipe to “get you through” until you can see a doctor:

1) Go get chamomile tea, store bought is okay. (If you are out of chamomile, regular black or green tea is fine). Do NOT brew yet.

2) This is where it gets technical. If you grow thyme in your garden, take 1 or 2 healthy twigs (or 2 tablespoons). If you have only the dried spice, you will need 4 tablespoons.

3) Add the thyme to your tea and brew the tea either on the stove or in the microwave. (It is not recommended that you just add boiling water to the mixture because you need the thyme to brew with the tea).

4) Let it seep for 20 minutes and re-heat if needed. This allows the medicinal properties of the thyme to seep into the tea.

5) Add honey to taste. I used 1 teaspoon. The ancient Egyptians used honey as an antibiotic and modern science has shown that honey does indeed have antibiotic properties.
6) Add cinnamon if desired. I put just a pinch because cinnamon is also said to be good for the respiratory system.

A note on how Thyme works: I drank 2 cups. I felt nothing. Three hours later, I had dry mouth. Thyme’s effect starts slow and then, all of a sudden, it intensifies. Start with one cup and wait a few hours before the next one. One cup may be all that you need. Thyme is powerful. Listen to your body!

No comments:

Post a Comment